Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Cold Snap


There's an old saying in Michigan, "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute, it'll change."  If you're from Michigan you roll your eyes when you hear this. Although it speaks the truth... we've been hearing the adage our whole lives and the novelty has since worn off.

This past Saturday it was 96 degrees outside. Yesterday and today were highs of 66. I'm a strong advocate for Fall, but I need to be eased into a thirty degree drop. When it's gradual, it's welcome. When it's sudden, it just drives one's allergies wild!  (Not to mention the accompanying wardrobe conundrum.)

My biggest love of my home state is that we get to experience all four seasons. Gorgeously! To Norman Rockwell degrees.  I feel bad for people who only have summer weather year-round (although I may get a little jealous after Winter trails on a few weeks too long.)

Winter is for snowy walks, cozying up, winter sports and holiday fun. Spring is for puddle-jumping and hiking through bountiful blooms.  Summer is for heading to the nearest lake to boat on, ski on, fish in or just simply sun yourself near. And, Fall is for leaf-crunching walks, skinny jeans with boots and cider mills.

I smell Fall.  It's near.  I swore I even sniffed a cinnamon donut in the air last week.  I actually needed a blanket to sit out back and read the other night.  AND, fleece sweatpants!  It was annoying at first, seeing that I was wearing shorts and a tank top the day before.  But, gradually as I cozied up, even the light breeze didn't bother me (thank you blankie shield.) 

Then the most glorious scent whiffed under my nose.  Burning wood.  At first I'd wondered if the neighbor's garage had caught fire (again.)  But, then I realized that someone had their fire pit going. It's fire pit time of year! 

The chapter in the memoir I was reading had drifted into October and started telling tales of trick-or-treating in the countryside.  Between that, the burning wood, the cozy breeze and the chorus of crickets chirping, my senses had all come to a unanimous decision.
 
Autumn, I submit.

1 comment:

Marilyn B said...

I loved this. I felt like I was there, hearing the crunch, seeing my breath in the air... Thanks Kim... I miss home!