Saturday, August 17, 2013

No Makeup No Filter

Lady Gaga. No makeup, no filter.
I've noticed the emerging trend of celebrities posting bare-faced selfies with the rule "No makeup. No filters." 

I think it's great.  It gives us regular folk that same feeling I described in my last post, replacing, "Oh, they're lumpy too!" with "Oh, they also have puffy eyelids!"

Although, some celebs seem to be cheating... maybe just due to the advantage of privilege with their Botoxed, eyelifted, dyed eyelash "natural" faces.  Or, dare I mention the ones who have (gasp!) actual flawless natural beauty.

It's fun, though, to see those who make a living being completely made-up become unmade.  Not to mention unlit, unedited and unairbrushed.

Then, I noticed a new trend. Regular folk.  Unfamous bloggers posting their own "No makeup. No filters." selfies.

It made me think.  Who doesn't use a "best case scenario" shot as their profile pic?  

My favorite photo edits (besides abusing every exposure and saturation button my photo editing program provides) are airbrushing out three particular facial flaws of mine.  1.) Any zits that have come to roost.  2.) The red scar above my left nostril that came in to being after several decades of living life as the Girl With the Perpetually Runny Nose. 3.) This weird purple vein on the right side on my mouth whose "came into being" story is unknown.

I walk through daily life with my nose dot and face vein completely exposed. I'm not even shy about leaving the house without makeup on a lazy laundry day.  

But, for some reason, nose dots and face veins I deem unfit for life-long posterity on the internet.  Not out of shame or insincerity... but merely because if the "airbrush" button exists, why not use it?!

So I've decided to join the club. (I've already showed you my cellulite for Pete's Sake!)

Here's an airbrushed, edited, crisped up and overly-contrasted picture of myself that was taken just last week.  A particularly ambitious laundry day where I actually ended up doing my hair and makeup for a change:
Of course, this is also my Pinterest profile pic

And, here's my No Makeup No Filter photo taken just this morning. (A regular standard-issue laundry day):


I now realize that I may have misunderstood the rules of the challenge by not bothering to get dressed, comb my hair or even leave the bed before taking it. But, clearly there were no makeup or filters used in the production of this selfie.  

This is an honest look at my morning. (Minus the smile. It took about seven practice shots before I could muster up one of those in the a.m.!) My nose dot is actually on the other side of my face, but I was kind enough to leave one giant pimple on full display (who's creation story involves pub cheese, if you were wondering. Lots and lots of pub cheese.)

So, there you go! It won't be my new profile pic. It won't be pinned anytime soon. But, I personally like knowing that no one is nearly as perfect as their Facebook profile would claim.  

The comfortable thing about this world is that we're all flawed. I may not love all of your flaws (especially if yours is whistling in public...) but I love that we live this life imperfectly together.

P.S. If you're really into a naked face challenge, check out The Naked Face Project.  Sixty days, no makeup, no shaving, no primping. FYI: You won't find me taking this one on unless I'm convalescing at the time.

No comments: