Friday, December 16, 2011

Sick as a Dog

Now, when I say I'm as sick as a dog right now, I'm referring to our family dog who is presently dead and buried under the garage of my childhood home.  That's how sick I feel.

Yes, that little stomach bug from a week-and-a-half ago was "just getting warmed up", as my doctor tells me.  It's now here, full-fledged, waving colored flags and parade-marching across my skull.  Not only do I feel as if I've been poisoned and beaten from head to toe but, being hypoglycemic, I also get to experience the sensation of being electrocuted every time my adrenal glands realized that my insulin levels are sub-par due to not being able to keep any food in my stomach.  Joy!

Oh yeah, and I'm also dehydrated, so I get to taste the drying skin that's peeling off of my lips 24/7.  And, I'm down to having only six hours of paid time off for the remainder of the year, which needs to be reserved for my remaining eye doctor appointments.  (Yep, still dealing with that!)

However, I'm trying to remain Job-like and finding ways to praise the Lord in my illness.  So, on that note, I'll focus on:
  • My doctor took me off work for the rest of the week starting yesterday.  Thinking of those meager remaining six hours of time off I'm yet allowed the schedule off for the rest of 2011, I was blessed to already have today scheduled off as a vacation day.  Happy little accident found in my year's worth of vacation time that I scheduled back in January.
  • My dehydration is at the serious level, but still one step away from being severe and putting me on an IV in the hospital.  Which means I get the chance to try and rehydrate from the comfort of my own flannel-sheeted bed.
  • There's been lots of interesting weather to watch out of the window that's conveniently placed at the head of my bed.  Yesterday was in the high 50's (unheard of this time of year in Michigan!) with wild windstorms that I got to watch blow miscellaneous object to-and-fro across the backyard.  Today I woke up to cheerful sunshine, trying to lift my spirits.  Thank you Sun!
  • My left eye, in the midst of all of this, is gradually starting to get it's vision back.  Hoorah!
  • My sick days butt up to a weekend, giving me two extra days healing before I must return to work.
  • My computer desk is located right next to my bed making this post possible.  Because, trust me, if my desk were two steps further, I wouldn't have made it!
Yeah, things could be better, but they could also be much worse!

Now I just need to ask for some prayers that I'm better by Monday.  I can't take any more time off and I'm committed to covering for a friend at work so she can be off Monday and Tuesday.  I'm still not able to eat anything and the hydration process is coming along very slowly.  Also, pray that my blood-sugar levels will find some way to maintain.  This is my Christmas wish!  (And, gee, I thought I wanted a Kindle Fire and a kitten this year.)

On that note:  Heigh ho, heigh ho, it's back to bed I go!

***Please also excuse any typos or punctuation errors... There is currently not enough nutrition going to brain to be concerned with proof-reading.***


No comments: