Thursday, March 15, 2012

Spring has Sprung!

Last week
This week
Spring has sprung, very suddenly and very much welcomely, here in Michigan.  (Welcomely? Word? Not a word?  Oh well...)  I come to this conclusion because we've steadily enjoyed mild temperatures for over an entire week now, as well as forseen in the entire 10-day forecast.

Now, I'm just hoping this post doesn't cause me to bite my tongue in the coming weeks because, although they say "March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb", Mother Nature tends to like to flip-flop that saying around these parts with that sadistic humor only she can appreciate.  It's not unusual for her to drop an ice storm or one last blizzard just in time to ruin local Easter egg hunts.  But, seeing that this year's entire winter has been strangely mild... I think we of the Great Lakes are safely in the clear.
 
What I've loved about early Spring this week:
  • It being both light enough and warm enough to walk the neighborhood after dinner.  Yes. Venturing outdoors, after six, without a flashlight. 
  • When taking above-mentioned walks, the air smells like so much barbeque!
  • Hearing someone practicing the piano through an open window. (Pleasant, in a momentary walk by. Their next door neighbors may have a differing opinion...)
  • Neighborhood cats, sprawled out in every sunbeam in sight. Windows, driveways, front porches... Oooh kitty kitties!  Where were you hiding all Winter?
  • All of the birdhouses being occupied and waking up to the "tweetly-deetley-deet" that accompanies fully occupied birdhouses.
  • Busy little squirrels. Everywhere! And, baby ones too! So cute, so hyper and so entertaining to me.
  •  Hearing kids at the school playground down the street. Outdoor recess has resumed!  Cover your ears, lunchladies!
There were also a few surprises that crept up on me with early Spring:
  • Sunburn?  Already?!
  • Next time I wear capris I've got to remember to shave my legs.
  • My toenails look naked.
  • The condition of the rest of my feet is unspeakable.
  • I'm not getting anything done indoors because I only want to read books, only while outside, only while in my own sunbeam. (Vitamin D!)
Yeah, there may be alot to complain about in the world today.  But, right here, in this moment (while I'm packing my sweaters away) life ain't nothing but sunshine!

No comments: