Friday, March 30, 2012

Things I Overhear: "Nakie Men" Edition

I overhear alot of things when shopping at Target.  It is my favorite discount chain.  And, since they started carrying groceries a few years back, I now find myself there at least once a week.

In visiting so frequently, I tend to overhear many things.  Newly cohabitating couples, grocery shopping together for the first time, deciding how on earth to make dinner for two.  Babies alerting their parents that they've been shopping too long.  One-ended sides of cell phone conversations.  Mothers demanding, "Put that back!"  Kids pleading, "But, I really really need it!"

Today's ditty was overheard over the tops of the shelves and took place one aisle over from where I shopped.  I was in the feminine hygiene aisle (don't snicker, we're all grown-ups here...) and we all know which product is kept one aisle over from feminine hygiene.

Little Girl:  [apparently looking at some sort of product packaging]  "Ew mommy, why is that guy naked?!"
Mom: [half listening] "Hmmm..."
Me: [in thought, and catching on quicker that Mom] Oh goodness, that little girl's first trip through the contraceptive aisle.
Little Girl:  "He's naked mommy.  Tee hee hee."
Mom: [paying better attention now] "What?  Oh... put that back!"
Me: [in thought] Don't shop for condoms with your kid, lady!
Little Girl:  "I can't believe this guy is naked.  Why in the world would he be NAKED???"
Mom: "Come over here by me."
Little Girl: "Hee hee.  He is sooo nakie!"
Mom: "Shhhh...
Little Girl: "But, he's NAKIE!!!  WHY would he be NAKED??  Hee hee hee hee."
Me: [In thought]  For goodness sakes, get that kid out of there before her innocence is stolen and lost for good!
Mom: [Obviously embarrassed now and sounding as if she's finally decided to shuffle along]
Little Girl: [Manages to blurt out, while being dragged out of the aisle] "I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY HAVE NAKIE MEN HERE!"

And, away they finally go.

Being the good blog reporter that I am, I decided to coast my cart over one aisle to see what all the fuss is about.  (They sell first aid in that row too, y'know. Who's to say I'm not shopping for Band-Aids?)

I round the corner and, lo and behold, what lay before me?  Three full shelves of nakie men!  From the waist up, that is.  With towels around their bottom halves.  Clutching their backs, as if in pain.  With an odd rectangle of white slapped onto their backs.

Yes.  The poor little girl's innocence was taken by the IcyHot medicated heat patch display.

I'll give her another month or two before her radar kicks in.  That's when she'll turn around, discover the other side of the aisle and really come up with some extra loud questions to embarrass her mother with.

Until then!

No comments: