Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Comfort Viewing

After a stressful day, my favorite way to unwind is in a pair of flannel jammies, cocooned by a favorite blankie and lying in front of some comfort tv.
 
Yes, any other day I might enjoy the drama of Mad Men, the shenanigans of the Real Housewives of anywhere or the suspense of whichever portion of the Bourne trilogy is playing on an endless movie channel loop at the moment.
 
But, certain days don't call for any more drama, shenanigans or suspense.  Here is some of my  favorite foolproof decompression viewing:

 
The Cosby Show:  Reruns are on TVland almost every night!  Choose episodes where Denise is still in high school and Rudy still in braids for maximum decompression.

 
The Brady Bunch:  Nobody but the Brady's could make parenting look easier, teen woes look a cinch and the workplace seem so rewarding.

 
19 Kids and Counting:  There's something incredibly calming about Michelle Duggar's voice that sooths away even the most persistent tension headache.  I don't think she's raised her decibel level above a bird's peep since her high school cheerleading days.  And, what cooperative and obedient children she's raised!

 
United Bates of America: That's right!  The Duggars have best friends in Tennessee who now have their own show.  The Bates have proven to be even more upbeat, cheerful, silly and twangy!  Bring on the home schoolin'!

 
This is Spinal Tap:  Tap is probably my favorite movie comedy of all time.  It is such good comfort viewing that I've deemed it my official "flu movie".  Every time I'm sick in bed with the flu, I pop it in the DVD player to cheer me up.  Nothing cures like a good laugh.  (And, nothing distracts from your own vomit than hearing of someone choking on another's.)

 
Bewitched (the movie): I don't care if nobody else has seen it or that it was deemed one of the biggest missteps in Hollywood remake history... I LOVE THE BEWITCHED MOVIE!  Nicole Kidman is adorable in it, Will Ferrell is silly as can be, Michael Caine is dapper, Shirley Maclaine is perfectly cast and Kristin Chenoweth is on-point quirky.  It's colorful, it's fun and it's stress-free viewing!

 
Classic Disney cartoons:  If a giggle cures a headache, Chip and Dale will give you a double dose of healing.


A Hard Day's Night:  If you're so stressed out you can't even make a selection, The Beatles have made it easy for you by planting a "hard day" right into its title.  I'm relaxing by the time they board the opening scene's train and any knots in my tummy are untied by the time Ringo barely recites the line, "Well, if he's your grandfather, who knows!  Hahahaha...."

Let me know your favorite comfort viewing by leaving a comment below.  Stressed out right now?  Here's a freebie:

 

No comments: