Thursday, June 21, 2012

Things Unemployment Has Taught Me


Upon entering my fifth month of unemployment, I have decided the following things:

  • I will never make judgemental comments about anyone on unemployment ever again. 
  • I will never look down on fast food workers again.  Even accidentally.  Even if they forget my fries.
  • I am not quite ready to work at McDonald's yet.
  • Saving money is easier than I thought back when I was still making some.  Never realized how many unnecessary things I used to purchase each week until I stopped doing so.  Grateful to have learned that lesson before the severance checks stopped.  My bank account now thanks me!
  • Politicians who make any mention of the unemployment rates have no idea what they are talking about.  If you really want to include that in your platform, refuse your pay and insurance for the better part of a year, live off your savings, pay your doctor's bills in cash, manage to still keep your home and cars somehow, and then you may speak.
  • Although I'm desperate for work, I will not act desperate.  Just because I may need your job does not mean you do not need me.  I am still a valued worker.  Don't treat me as less than that.
  • Single parents who work three part time jobs to feed their families deserve applause.  (And insurance.)
  • For every job I don't get, I'm genuinely happy for the person who does.
  • Magazines can be read for free at the library.
  • They've got free books to read there too!
  • Fresh air is a necessity.
  • New clothes are a luxury.
  • Taking thirty seconds to enter the Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes every day is still a valuable use of time.
  • Anyone paying off student loans while having to apply for the jobs ads listing "Bachelor's Degree required. Pay rate $10/hr." has my deepest sympathies.
  • Money does not equal happiness.  Although, it could buy a little peace of mind.
  • Maybe I'm not quite ready to retire.  Twenty-four free hours can be long ones to fill!
  • I will still daydream about retiring one day, though.  It can not be helped.
  • I am not a loser. 
  • You are not a loser.

No comments: