Saturday, May 19, 2012

When Movies Ruin My Inner Playlist


I have a pet peeve.  Just an irk.  I'd like to blame it on Hollywood.  I'd like to blame it, like everyone else, on the music industry.  But, it's probably my own sense of recall that's at fault.  My dumb, stupid, insidious habit of letting every piece of irrelevant information take root in my memory, but letting the reminder that there's clothes in dryer somehow get filtered out.

I'm the type of person that, when I hear a song, I see an image.  I'm sure this is true with most of you.  Classic songs should conjure classic images.  But, that's where my irk comes in.  Newer movies and tv shows, heck, even laundry detergent commercials, hijack my classic playlist and ransack the place with new unwelcome visions.

This was fully realized by myself last night when I heard "Everybody's Working for the Weekend" on the car radio and an uninvited image of Chris Farley, Chippendale dancing in ill-fitting pants, magically appeared.

This isn't the first time this has happened.  My eighties flashbacks have been disrupted by new images created by Generation Y and whatever generation these new Disney kids belong to.  When I hear the chant, "Hey Mickey! You're so fine! You're so fine you blow my mind!" I wish to see Toni Basil with her pigtails bopping around as my mental music video.  But, no!  The Bring it On! girls have now crashed the party!

"Cruel Summer" is supposed to evoke a playback of the Karate Kid kicking a soccer ball around on the beach, not Blue Crush!  I'd like to hear "Rock the Casbah" without suddenly wondering if Claire Dane's character really did it in Brokedown Palace. And, I can no longer hear the song "Footloose" without hearing Lisa Kudrow's voice in Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion mis-singing, "I'm going to tell you... you've got one hell of an eye ♫" 

These are all good movies! That's not the part that I mind.  I just never asked to have my nostalgia replaced.  I miss the dancing feet in  polka dots socks, Peter Pan boots and legwarmers!  This is a part of my subconscious that didn't need a reboot.

I'm pretty sure the entire playlist of the 60's was not intended to conjure visual images of Forrest Gump, the music videos of the 80's did not star The Wedding Singer and, as funny as Jack Black is, I much prefer the soundtrack of School of Rock in its original format.

Oh well, I guess I should just submit and realize that the movie industry marches forward, while the soundtrack remains the same.  Besides, I'm sure this is the same way Wayne Newton fans feel when I choose to associate "Danke Schoen" with Ferris Bueller and how Queen's original audience feels hearing me admit that I'd first heard "Bohemian Rhapsody" while watching Wayne's World

Que sera sera. ~Heathers

No comments: